1. Have a designated space in your home for yoga and meditation
Even just the corner of a room, as long as it is big enough to safely do the postures This should be a dedicated space that is only used for your practice.
2. Make your yoga space tranquil
Light candles or incense and decorate with pictures or items that make you feel happy and calm. Plants and flowers can also be soothing.
3. Completely disconnect when you’re in your yoga space
Turn off your phone and ask anyone else in the home not to disturb you.
4. Play background music
You can use any playlist on Spotify, Amazon Music or Youtube. Search for “relaxing yoga music” or something similar. Try one of our shared Spotify playlists here:
- Hatha: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3e8bQqrGYWWtCqqWda1HSC?si=9-kefdxQQs2PX8ByMjadVA
- Vinyasa: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7phXLDSQN9jGp76eNDavzh?si=wInHw7wWT0WL79DVa_8itg
- Flow: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3qZ2abJ9NBoq9sMxAyOfSE?si=dZ3R3EtCTFebn9CTgQKBew
5. Support your practice
Blocks, straps, cushions and blankets are still important at home to get the most out of your practice and safely do the postures. No props? Substitute with items you can find around your house:
- Blocks - To prop your hand up for postures (like triangle pose or half moon pose) try a large book, a small stool, or even a large canned good from your pantry. As long as it’s sturdy and big enough to put your hand on comfortably. To prop up your hips (like in pigeon pose), a large book can still work or a folded heavy blanket.
- Straps - Look for anything long with a little bit of flexibility. A necktie, a sash from a bathrobe or an old pair of nylons are just a few examples.
- Cushions - Thicker pillows or cushions work best but you can also fold thinner pillows in half to give you some height for seated postures and meditations. Thinner pillows can also be used for extra cushion for kneeling postures.
- Blankets - Great for meditation but can also be nice for the end of yoga class when you are lying in Savasana as your body temperature may start to drop.